Chicken Experiment #1: Paprika Fail



Ta-da! Matt made me this banner a while ago and I haven't had an occasion to use it yet. This seemed to be as good a time as any!

Well, as previously stated, this is going to be a record of possible chicken seasonings for our usual method (bake at 450 for 20 minutes coated lightly with olive oil.) This first foray didn't go very well...

Seasoning Ingredients
-1/2 Tsp of Paprika
-1/2 Tsp of Salt
-1/2 Tsp of Ground Pepper
-1/2 Tsp of Onion Powder

Results: HORRIBLE ):

I don't know why I thought this would be good. Firstly, a 1/2 Tsp is too much for a single chicken breast. Informal measurements should be used just to lightly coat the meat rather than make a scrapable layer of it.

Second, if you've ever had seasoning salt on fries, this is basically the recipe, except switch out the ground pepper for garlic powder. So, I basically made seasoning salt chicken. And it was pretty awful. Maybe the same flavor in smaller quantities? Somehow I just don't see it working out.



1 comments:

i have ibs said...

We tend not to bake chicken too much in the Price West household and instead saute it most of the time. We usually use a mixture of salt, pepper, flour, and Trader Joe's "a bunch of stuff in one jar"* seasoning mix. Sometimes I'll add fresh garlic and cayenne if I'm in the mood. Then right before I saute it I'll just plop the chicken down in the mix on each side and whatever sticks is what gets cooked. This tends to prevent the chicken from getting overly seasoned. But maybe it is the flour that cuts the seasoning to the right amount. I don't know. I personally find that baked chicken tends to keep the flavors too separated (i.e. spices stay on the outside and the center just tastes like chicken) if dry cooked, especially since larger pieces of chicken are usually the ones that get baked.

*not actual name