Monkey Bread

Aha! I have returned!

Last week I didn't cook anything of note. Monday we did the tacos which have been so successful in the past, and Wednesday we were invited to the New Price's (This is AJ and Rachelle; as opposed to the old Prices which would be Matt and Jeni...also, we didn't go to Scotland.) to have a meal with all Prices. They made a really cool Lasagne with goat cheese and bison meat which resulted in a tangy and satisfying Italian variant.

I brought completely unhealthy dessert items.



Monkey Bread

Ingredients:

1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Butter
3 Tsp Cinnamon
2 cans Grands Biscuits (extra rich, non-flaky)

Ah, looks healthy already doesn't it? This recipe is pretty automatic. Preheat oven to 350. Take 1/2 cup of both sugars and the cinnamon and put them into a ziplock bag, gallon-sized. Open your biscuit cans and quarter them. Put the biscuits into bag and coat with the sugar mix. You might to shake or push or whatever it is you enjoy doing whilst...coating.

Now, the caramelizd glaze. Take the rest of the sugar and your butter, put into a saucepan and caramelize.

Taking a bundt pan, put in half of the biscuits. Then pour in half of the glaze. Then put the rest of the biscuits in and then pour the remainder of the glaze. Bake for 20-40 minutes, making or until knife blade comes out clean from testing.

I...actually burned mine a tiny bit. I didn't hear the timer go off. But it was still 95 percent edible! So, it's a pretty fool-proof recipe. This is a Rockney family staple and works wonderfully at parties or for a rather rich breakfast treat.

=====

Before I went on hiatus I actually did one rather complicated project. I made eclairs completely from scratch for my dad for Father's Day. But...that story is one of tragic endings. One day I'll get up the courage to type it out. It's only now starting to be funny.

My grandpa apparently found a collection recipes that my Great Uncle Larry had made from a variety of newspapers. He scanned it and gave a copy to my dad, who in turn gave me a copy on a DVD. I just started looking at them to day and there is a GIGANTIC amount of recipes in it. All from Hawaiin newspapers. So, I'm going to start off next week by trying out Island Style Barbecued Chicken. Looks easy and should be tasty. We'll see what the past has to offer!

3 comments:

Emily said...

YUM. I love monkey bread. I have a variation of it on my blog called "Gorilla Bread"---it's basically the same, but it includes cream cheese in the middle. So good.

Jenevieve said...

Man, it was so good.

Matt said...

Poor eclairs. Um, so I'm just now starting to read all this summer's blog posts. Hence the extremely late comment. INTERNET!!!