Friday Food Free!-...er, Three!

I'm starting to think that Friday is not the best day for the Food review. But I refuse to relinquish my alliteration, so here it is.

Only one meal was cooked this week, much to my dismay. I had planned on making a cool taco salad on Wednesday with homemade taco seasoning, but I forgot that I had a dentist appointment and it just ended up being too complicated to figure out. So, only food on Monday.



Monday - Barbecue Chicken with Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Barbecue Sauce Ingredients

1 cup ketchup
1 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 rounded 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder

Garlic Mashed Potatoes Ingredients

3 lbs potatoes (recipe is peeled and cubed; I used red potatoes so I just peeled. You can also leave peel on)
1 head of garlic
1/2 handful of salt
4 TBSP butter or margarine
1/4 cup of milk


I made the barbecue sauce on Sunday, after I came home from the store. This barbecue sauce is amazing; my dad has been making it for years. It's supposed to be the secret recipe used at Tony Roma's for their Blue Ridge Smokie sauce. I don't know if it tastes the same or not; it's been a while since I've been to Tony Roma's and I usually get the honey-style sauce. Regardless, it's still a very good barbecue sauce, and once you have all the ingredients super-easy to make. You just dump it all into a pot and bring it to boil, then simmer for 30 minutes. Ten put it into a bottle and refrigerate for future use. It makes about 1 1/2 cups of sauce. Works great on everything; burgers, chicken, ribs.

Now, I made the chicken by simply throwing some olive oil onto it and putting it in a 9 x 13 pan to bake. I don't put sauce on it; it just burns in the oven and it tastes just as good putting the sauce after the chicken is cooked.

Now, for the mashed potatoes. This was my first batch of mashed potatoes I had ever done, and from what I hear of the world of mashed potatoes is that they can be very difficult to do correctly, so I wasn't sure how this was going to work out. Megan felt like helping out this time, so she peeled all of the potatoes while I smashed the garlic head and peeled them. I was sorta grumpy about garlic since I had bought a pack of three heads from the store and they were all sprouted already except for one quarter of one of them. I had some garlic from a previous head and managed to get enough functional cloves, but that'll teach me to buy garlic blindly in the future.

anyway, you put the garlic and potatoes into a pot (my mom (it's her recipe) wrote saucepan, but I used a pasta pot because I thought it would be easier to drain with the built in strainer. I don't think I'd do it again; too much to clean up just to avoid normal draining procedures of the boiling water.) as well as the salt. Don't worry about it being too salty; it's mostly to help the water boil faster and the potatoes didn't soak up much of it; in fact they needed salt afterwards. Boil until they are soft. After you drain, add the butter/margarine and milk and smash together. You can add in ground pepper if you want.

The only thing I would definitely change for my procedure is how I dealt with the red potatoes. I like the flavor of red potatoes better when they're mashed, but because they were naturally smaller I decided not to cube them since they were about the size I would've cubed regular potatoes. However, it took a little extra time to cook some of the larger ones to be really really soft. In the future I would cut down all the potatoes to be about the same size to speed the process along and prevent the smaller potatoes from potentially being over-done (can you overdo a potato? I don't even know.).

The end result was great; the potatoes needed some salt and pepper, but they were smooth and creamy and perfect. The sauce was great as always (I've made it before so there was no trepidation about it) and it was overall a successful dinner.


So that's it for this week. Hopefully next week will be a little bit back to normal in terms of the cooking routine.

What'd you guys eat last week?

0 comments: